Shoulder replacement surgery in Aventura

At Aventura Hospital and Medical Center, our skilled orthopedic surgeons provide patients with a variety of treatments, from noninvasive procedures to shoulder replacement surgery, to relieve shoulder pain.

Whether you have a fractured shoulder or a shoulder joint damaged by arthritis, our skilled orthopedic specialists can provide you with a customized plan to help alleviate your pain and restore your active lifestyle.

To learn more about the shoulder replacement options we offer, contact Consult-A-Nurse® at (888) 256-7692.

Shoulder conditions we treat

When physical therapy, medicine and noninvasive procedures cannot relive your shoulder pain, Aventura's Orthopedics & Spine Institute offers shoulder replacement surgery.

To restore joint health and shoulder function, we use minimally invasive procedures whenever possible. Some conditions that could require shoulder replacement surgery include:

Shoulder fractures

Trauma may cause a fracture of the humerus (long bone in the upper arm) or the glenoid (the socket of the ball-and-socket joint) parts of the shoulder.

Most shoulder fractures can be treated without surgery, but if some fractures are unlikely to heal, surgery will be the best option. About 80 percent of all fractures are non-displaced, which requires a treatment of immobilization with the aid of a splint, cast or brace. The other 20 percent of shoulder fractures are displaced and a surgical procedure might be necessary.

Shoulder arthritis

Shoulder arthritis occurs when cartilage wears down on the ball and/or socket sides of the shoulder joint. Damage to the cartilage inside the shoulder joint may cause pain, stiffness and reduced range of motion.

Shoulder arthritis pain can be reduced by nonoperative treatments, including physical therapy and medication. If those treatments do not relieve pain and improve range of motion, shoulder replacement surgery can often provide relief.

Wear and tear of the shoulder

Aging and repeated overhead activities can lead to tears of the rotator cuff tendon and rotator cuff disease.

Rotator cuff tears can cause pain and limited range of motion. Patients experiencing rotator cuff tears may have difficulty lifting items or reaching overhead.

For patients experiencing ongoing shoulder pain due to wear and tear, surgery may provide relief and increase range of motion.

Shoulder replacement surgery

Shoulder replacement surgery involves removing damaged areas of the shoulder and replacing them with a customized, prosthetic ball-and-socket device.

At Aventura's Orthopedics & Spine Institute, we are with you on every step of your journey. Our expert surgeons offer advanced, comprehensive care, and we offer physical therapy and rehabilitation services to help you make a full recovery after your surgery.