Cardiac testing in Miami-Dade County
At Aventura Hospital and Medical Center, our heart specialists use Miami's most advanced heart tests to detect the presence of cardiovascular diseases and conditions. We work with you and your referring physician to determine the most effective cardiac exam to diagnose and further understand your condition.
To learn more about heart imaging and screening services at Aventura Hospital and Medical Center, call our Consult-A-Nurse® team at (888) 256-7692.
Before you are referred to the heart health program at Aventura Hospital and Medical Center, your primary physicians will often perform preliminary tests, such as chest X-rays and blood work.
Our heart specialists conduct in electrophysiology (EP) studies in our Electrophysiology Lab to understand heart arrhythmias (abnormal heart rhythms). Using advanced technology in the lab, we perform a wide range of procedures, including:
- Comprehensive electrophysiology studies—These tests are used to assess the heart's electrical system and activity. Doctors use catheters and wire electrodes to measure electrical activity in the blood vessels that enter the heart to diagnose arrhythmia.
- Sinus node recovery time assessment—A test used to detect sick sinus syndrome (SSS).
- His bundle recordings—A technique involving a bipolar or multipolar catheter for the routine recording of the heart's His bundle activity (a portion of the heart's electrical system).
- Atrioventricular (AV) nodal conduction recordings—A test to study the electrical continuity between the atria and ventricles.
- Atrial and ventricular pacing/recording— This diagnostic test records how effectively the upper and lower chambers of the heart are working.
- Cardiac 3D mapping—This procedure involves an electrically sensitive catheter, which maps electrical activity in the heart chambers. Cardiac 3D mapping is used to diagnose the origins of heart arrhythmias.
- Cardiac implants—In order to manage heart rhythm disorders, a pacemaker or cardiac defibrillator may be implanted. We offer permanent and temporary pacemakers and implantable cardiac defibrillators.
Echocardiograms are used to measure the heart's blood volume and the speed and direction of blood flow through the heart. Our doctors perform diagnostic 2D echocardiography and transesophageal echocardiography studies in our Echocardiography Lab using leading-edge technology.
Nuclear Medicine Stress Lab
Nuclear medicine the use of tiny radioactive particles called isotopes to diagnose a wide variety of disorders. The Nuclear Medicine Department at Aventura Hospital and Medical Center has advance single-photon emission computerized tomography (SPECT) cameras that more accurately localize abnormalities. Sophisticated computers are used to analyze and visualize the data.
Our cardiac specialists use the Stress Lab for cardiac stress testing. With the aid of cardiac stress tests, our team can evaluate a variety of cardiac disorders and conditions, including:
- Infarction—Blockage of bloodflow to heart muscle
- Ischemia—Reduced bloodflow to heart muscle
- Ejection fraction—The amount of blood that is pumped out with each contraction
- Wall motility—The hearts pumping capacity
Non-Invasive Vascular Ultrasound Laboratory
Non-invasive ultrasounds use ultrasound waves to detect disease in the veins and arteries. Our laboratory accredited by the American College of Radiology with a dedicated team of sonographers who are nationally registered by the American Registry of Diagnostic Medical Sonographers
We commonly perform lower and upper extremity venous and arterial ultrasounds, carotid ultrasounds and other specialized exams in our Non-Invasive Vascular Ultrasound Laboratory.
Interventional radiology uses a multi-functional imaging system for both diagnostic and interventional procedures.
Specialized procedures performed in interventional radiology include:
- Uterine fibroid embolization
- Carotid artery stenting
- Endovascular treatment of abdominal aortic aneurysms (AAA)
- Renal, angiography and stenting
- CT guided biopsies and drainages
- Tunneled dialysis and ports insertions
Cardiac Catheterization Lab
Our advanced Cardiac Catheterization Lab offers a range of diagnostic procedures and treatments. Cardiac catheterization is a medical sub-specialty dedicated to using minimally invasive techniques with imaging guidance. Through heart catheterization, or cath exams, doctors can evaluate the functionality of a patient's heart valves.