(Fibroid Tumor Removal; Uterine Fibroid Removal)
Reasons for Procedure
- Pelvic pain
- Back pain
- Pressure on the bladder
- Abnormal vaginal bleeding
- Difficulty becoming pregnant
- Discomfort during sexual intercourse
- Surgical wound infection
- Recurrence of fibroids
- Damage to other organs
- Wall of the uterus may be weakened if a large fibroid is removed
- Reactions to anesthesia
- Need for special precautions in pregnancy, such as the need to deliver by cesarean section
- Pelvic adhesions that can cause pain and/or bowel blockage
- Problems found during surgery that make removal of the uterus necessary
- Severe scarring, resulting in infertility
- Chronic disease such as diabetes or obesity
- The use of certain prescription medications
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
- Physical exam
- Blood tests
- Review your medications
- Dilation and curettage (D&C) —a procedure to remove tissue from the lining of the uterus (endometrium)
- Ultrasound—shows images of pelvic organs
- Intravenous pyelogram —x-rays taken of the kidneys, ureters, and bladder after a contrast medium is injected into a peripheral vein (done if the fibroids are affecting the ureters)
- Whether you should have hormone treatment for 2-4 months before the procedure—This treatment shrinks fibroids. It makes them easier to remove and reduces the risk of excess blood loss during the procedure.
- If cancer is found in the uterus—One option is to remove the uterus during the myomectomy.
- Whether you should donate your own blood for the procedure.
- Talk to your doctor about your medications. You may be asked to stop taking some medications up to one week before the procedure.
- Arrange for a ride home from the hospital. Also, arrange for help at home.
- Do not eat or drink for at least eight hours before the procedure.
Description of the Procedure
|Laparoscopic View of Uterus|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Immediately After Procedure
- Taken to the postoperative area
- Watched for complications
- Given IV fluids and medications
How Long Will It Take?
Will It Hurt?
Average Hospital Stay
- Washing their hands
- Wearing gloves or masks
- Keeping your incisions covered
- Washing your hands often and reminding visitors and healthcare providers to do the same
- Reminding your healthcare providers to wear gloves or masks
- Not allowing others to touch your incisions
Call Your Doctor
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Redness, swelling, increasing pain, excessive bleeding, or discharge from the incision site
- Excessive vaginal bleeding (soaking more than one pad per hour) after the procedure
- Excessive vaginal discharge that continues beyond one month after the procedure
- Vaginal discharge has a foul odor
- Headaches, muscle aches, lightheadedness, or general ill feeling
- Nausea and/or vomiting,
- Pain and/or swelling in one or both legs
- Fibroid symptoms return after the procedure
- Cough , shortness of breath, or chest pain
- Pain, burning, urgency or frequency of urination, or persistent bleeding in the urine
- New, unexplained symptoms
National Uterine Fibroids Foundation http://www.nuff.org
Women's Health.gov—US Department of Health and Human Services http://www.womenshealth.gov
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Women's Health Matters http://www.womenshealthmatters.ca
American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists. Alternatives to hysterectomy in management of leiomyomas. Practice Bulletin. 2010;96.
Cohen SM, ed. Operative Laparoscopy and Hysteroscopy. New York, NY: Churchill Livingstone; 1996.
Uterine fibroid symptoms, diagnosis, and treatment. Society of Cardiovascular and Interventional Radiology website. Available at: http://www.sirweb.org/patients/uterine-fibroids/. Accessed October 29, 2014.
6/2/2011 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Mills E, Eyawo O, et al. Smoking cessation reduces postoperative complications: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Med. 2011;124(2):144-154.e8.
- Reviewer: Andrea Chisholm, MD
- Review Date: 12/2014 -
- Update Date: 12/20/2014 -