Arthrodesis of Foot and Ankle -- Arthroscopic Surgery
|Arthrodesis of Foot and Ankle|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Reasons for Procedure
- Failure of the joint to fuse
- Poor alignment of the joint, causing pain and/or an altered gait
- Need for repeat surgery
- Nerve damage
- Chronic disease such as diabetes or obesity
- The use of certain medications
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
Description of the Procedure
Immediately After Procedure
How Long Will It Take?
How Much Will It Hurt?
Average Hospital Stay
- Washing their hands
- Wearing gloves or masks
- Keeping your incisions covered
- Washing your hands often and reminding visitors and healthcare providers to do the same
- Reminding your healthcare providers to wear gloves or masks
- Not allowing others to touch your incisions
Call Your Doctor
- Bleeding or discharge from your incision(s)—This may show up as staining on your cast.
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Increasing or severe pain that is not relieved by your pain medication
- Cough, shortness of breath, chest pain, or severe nausea and vomiting
- Numbness, tingling, or discoloration in the foot
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons http://orthoinfo.aaos.org
University of Washington School of Medicine http://www.orthop.washington.edu
Canadian Orthopaedic Association http://www.coa-aco.org
Department of Orthopaedics—The University of British Columbia http://www.orthosurgery.ubc.ca
Arthritis of the foot and ankle: arthrodesis. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00209. Updated September 2008. Accessed March 2, 2015.
Daniels TR. Ankle arthrodesis. Canadian Orthopaedic Association website. Available at: http://www.coa-aco.org/library/clinical-topics/ankle-arthrodesis.html. Accessed March 2, 2015.
Foot pain—differential diagnosis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated April 29, 2014. Accessed March 2, 2015.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 03/2015 -
- Update Date: 02/07/2014 -