|Kidney and Ureter|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Reasons for Procedure
- Hernia near the surgical site
- Damage to tissues or organs
- Persistent leakage of urine
- Blockage of the ureter
What to Expect
Prior to Procedure
Description of Procedure
How Long Will It Take?
How Much Will It Hurt?
Average Hospital Stay
- Washing their hands
- Wearing gloves or masks
- Keeping your incisions covered
- Washing your hands often and reminding your healthcare providers to do the same
- Reminding your healthcare providers to wear gloves or masks
- Not allowing others to touch your incision
Call Your Doctor
- Signs of infection, including fever and chills
- Redness, swelling, increasing pain, excessive bleeding, or any discharge from the incision site
- Persistent nausea and/or vomiting
- Pain that you cannot control with the medications you have been given
- Pain, burning, urgency or frequency of urination, or persistent bleeding in the urine
- Difficulty urinating
- New or worsening symptoms
Family Doctor—American Academy of Family Physicians http://familydoctor.org
Urology Care Foundation http://www.urologyhealth.org
Canadian Urological Association http://www.cua.org
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Pyeloplasty. Cleveland Clinic website. Available at: http://my.clevelandclinic.org/services/pyeloplasty/urology%5Foverview.aspx. Accessed May 13, 2014.
Pyeloplasty FAQ. University of California San Francisco Benioff Children's Hospital website. Available at: http://www.ucsfbenioffchildrens.org/education/pyeloplasty/index.html. Accessed May 13, 2014.
Inagaki T, Rha KH, et al. Laparoscopic pyeloplasty: current status. BJU Int. 2005;95(Suppl 2):102-105.
McAleer IM, Kaplan GW. Renal function before and after pyeloplasty: does it improve? J Urol. 1999;162(3 Pt 2):1041-1044.
6/3/2011 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Mills E, Eyawo O, Lockhart I, Kelly S, Wu P, Ebbert JO. Smoking cessation reduces postoperative complications: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Am J Med. 2011;124(2):144-154.e8.
- Reviewer: Adrienne Carmack, MD
- Review Date: 05/2014 -
- Update Date: 05/13/2014 -