- Fever without signs of infection
- Swollen, enlarged lymph nodes which may be felt around the throat
- Unexplained weight loss or loss of appetite
- Shortness of breath
- Arthritis —inflammation of the joints
- Arthralgia—pain in the joints
- Inflammation of the muscles
- Muscle weakness
- Characteristic butterfly-shaped rash over the nose and cheeks
- Photosensitivity—sensitivity to sun and light
- Hair loss
- Raynaud's phenomenon —reduced circulation resulting in numbness, or blue or white fingertips when cold
- Red or purple rash
|Butterfly Rash on the Face|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
Handout on health: Systemic lupus erythematosus. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases website. Available at: http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health%5FInfo/Lupus/default.asp . Updated August 2011. Accessed June 28, 2013.
Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated June 13, 2013. Accessed June 28, 2013.
What are the symptoms for developing lupus? Lupus Foundation of America website. Available at: http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/new%5Flearnunderstanding.aspx?articleid=2235&zoneid=523 . Accessed June 28, 2013.
5/6/2011 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php : Smyth A, Oliveira GH, Lahr BD, Bailey KR, Norby SM, Garovic VD. A systematic review and meta-analysis of pregnancy outcomes in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus and lupus nephritis. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol . 2010;5(11):2060-2068.
- Reviewer: Rosalyn Carson-DeWitt, MD; Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 06/2013 -
- Update Date: 05/11/2013 -