Conditions InDepth: Cold Sores (Herpes Simplex Type 1)
|Herpes Simplex on the Lips|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Through kissing and other close contact
- Through sharing eating utensils, razors, towels, or other personal items
- Sharing food or drink
- Contact with saliva containing HSV
Cold sores. Nemours Kids Health website. Available at: http://kidshealth.org/parent/infections/common/cold%5Fsores.html. Updated October 2010. Accessed February 17, 2014.
Herpes labialis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated January 30, 2014. Accessed February 17, 2014.
Herpes simplex. American Academy of Dermatology website. Available at: http://www.aad.org/dermatology-a-to-z/diseases-and-treatments/e---h/herpes-simplex. Accessed February 14, 2014.
- Reviewer: David L Horn, MD, FACP
- Review Date: 02/2014 -
- Update Date: 02/17/2014 -