What does this vaccine help prevent?
- Diphtheria —which causes a sore throat with thick covering in the back of the throat
- Tetanus —which causes painful muscle tightening all over the body; also known as lockjaw
- Pertussis —which causes bad coughing spells that make it difficult for infants to eat, drink, and breathe; also known as whooping cough
What Is the Tdap Vaccine?
Who Should Get Vaccinated and When?
- Children aged 7-10 years of age who have not been fully vaccinated
- Children (aged 11 years and older) and adults who did not get the Tdap should receive the vaccine followed by a tetanus and diphtheria (Td) booster every 10 years
- Adults who have never received Tdap
- Pregnant women (or adolescents) after 27-36 weeks gestation, for each pregnancy, even if they have received Tdap in the past
What Are the Risks Associated With the Pertussis Vaccine?
- Pain, redness, or swelling at the injection site
- Mild fever
- Abdominal pain
- Fever over 102ºF
- Severe gastrointestinal problems
- Severe headache
Who Should Not Get Vaccinated?
- Have had a life-threatening allergic reaction to Tdap
- Have had a severe allergy to any component of the vaccine to be given
- Have gone into a coma or have had seizures within 7 days after a dose of Tdap
- Epilepsy or other nervous system problems
- Severe swelling or severe pain after a previous dose of any component of the vaccination to be given
- Guillain-Barre syndrome
- Moderate or severe illness —wait until you recover to get the vaccine
What Other Ways Can Tetanus, Diphtheria, or Pertussis Be Prevented?
What Happens in the Event of a Pertussis Outbreak?
WHERE CAN I GET MORE INFORMATION?
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention http://www.cdc.gov
Healthy Children—American Academy of Pediatrics http://www.healthychildren.org
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. FDA approval of expanded age indication for a tetanus toxoid, reduced diphtheria toxoid and acellular pertussis vaccine. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011;60(37):1279-1280.
Vaccinations for adults. Immunization Action Coalition website. Available at: http://www.immunize.org/catg.d/p4030.pdf. Updated February 2015. Accessed June 10, 2015.
Fisman DN, Tang P, Hauck T, Richardson S, Drews SJ, Low DE, Jamieson F. Pertussis resurgence in Toronto, Canada: a population-based study including test-incidence feedback modeling. BMC Public Health. 2011;11:694.
Friedrich MJ. Research aims to boost pertussis control. JAMA. 2011;306(1):27-29.
Pertussis (whooping cough) vaccination. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Immunization Program website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd-vac/pertussis/default.htm. Updated June 3, 2015. Accessed June 10, 2015.
Tdap vaccine: what you need to know. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention website. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/hcp/vis/vis-statements/tdap.pdf. Updated February 24, 2015. Accessed June 10, 2015.
10/30/2009 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Prymula R, Siegrist C, Chlibek R, et al. Effect of prophylactic paracetamol administration at time of vaccination on febrile reactions and antibody responses in children: two open-label, randomised controlled trials. Lancet. 2009;374(9698):1339.
11/4/2011 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Updated recommendations for use of tetanus toxoid, reduced diphtheria toxoid and acellular pertussis vaccine (Tdap) in pregnant women and persons who have or anticipate having close contact with an infant aged <12 months—Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), 2011. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011;60:1424-1426.
4/1/2014 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Bridges CB, Coyne-Beasley T, et al. Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices recommended immunization schedule for adults aged 19 years or older—United States, 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014. 63(7):110-112.
- Reviewer: Fabienne Daguilh, MD
- Review Date: 06/2015 -
- Update Date: 08/27/2014 -