- Those who use them for medical purposes
- Those who use them to enhance their strength and athletic ability, and/or enhance their physical appearance by adding muscle mass
- People with significant weight loss due to extensive surgery, trauma, HIV, cancer, or other conditions
- Bone pain accompanying osteoporosis
Athletes and Body Enhancers
Dangerous Side Effects
- Puffy face
- Severe acne (on face, chest, upper back, and thighs)
- Development of breast tissue in men
- Joint pain
- Increased weight gain over a short period of time
- Yellowing of skin and/or eyes
- Male pattern baldness
National Institute on Drug Abuse http://www.nida.nih.gov/
Substance Abuse and Mental health Services Administration http://www.samhsa.gov/
Council on Drug Abuse http://www.drugabuse.ca/
Canadian Center on Substance Abuse http://www.ccsa.ca
Casavant MJ, Blake K, Griffith J, Yates A, Copley LM. Consequences of use of anabolic androgenic steroids. Pediatr Clin North Am . 2007 Aug;54(4):677-90.
Oxandrin (oxandrolone) tablet. DailyMed website. Available at: http://dailymed.nlm.nih.gov/dailymed/lookup.cfm?setid=f622616e-4c11-4149-bf00-5ea5ce97800b#section-12Updated April 2007. Accessed September 4, 2012.
Indiana Prevention Resource Center. Anabolic steroids. Indiana Prevention Resource Center website. Available at: http://www.drugs.indiana.edu/publications/factline/steroids.pdf. Accessed August 31, 2012.
National Institute for Drug Abuse for Teens. Anabolic steroids. National Institute for Drug Abuse for Teens website. Available at: http://teens.drugabuse.gov/facts/facts%5Fster2.php. Updated March 2012. Accessed August 31, 2012.
Rules 2009. US Department of Justice: Drug Enforcement Administration website. Available at: http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/fed%5Fregs/rules/2009/fr1204.htm. Accessed August 31, 2012.
Signs of steroid abuse. Taylor Hooton Foundation website. Available at: http://taylorhooton.org/signs-of-steroids-abuse/. Accessed August 31, 2012.
Steroids: Just the facts. Texas Commission on Alcohol and Drug Abuse website. Available at: http://dwb.unl.edu/teacher/nsf/c10/c10links/www.tcada.state.tx.us/research/facts/steroids.html. Updated October 17, 1997. Accessed August 31, 2012.
- Reviewer: Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 08/2012 -
- Update Date: 08/31/2012 -