(Lupus; SLE; Lupus, Systemic)
- Family history
- Celiac disease
- Extreme fatigue
- Swollen and/or painful joints
- Fever without signs of infection
- Skin rashes over areas exposed to sunlight, especially butterfly shaped rash over the nose and cheeks
|Common SLE Rash Sites|
|Facial butterfly rash is hallmark of SLE.|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Affected skin may become sensitive to light, have hives or red or purple rashes, or have hair loss
- Affected muscles may become stiff and weak
- Affected stomach and intestines may cause nausea, vomiting, or abdominal pain
- Affected brain and nerves may lead to psychiatric disorders, such as depression, seizures, and nerve pain and numbness
- Blood tests
- Urine tests
- Imaging is done with an MRI
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)
- Antimalarial drugs
- Drugs to suppress the immune system
- B-cell therapy
- Learn the signs of a flare-up and contact your doctor as soon as possible
- Get immediate treatment for any cuts or infections
- Manage symptoms for other chronic conditions caused by SLE
- Avoid sun exposure
- If you smoke, learn how to quit
- Eat a healthy diet
- Limit emotional stress
- Get enough rest
- Exercise regularly, with your doctor's permission
Lupus Foundation of America, Inc. http://www.lupus.org
Lupus Research Institute http://www.lupusresearchinstitute.org
Lupus Canada http://www.lupuscanada.org
Lupus Foundation of Ontario http://lupusfoundationofontario.com/
Handout on health: Systemic lupus erythematosus. National Institute of Arthritis and Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases website. Available at: http://www.niams.nih.gov/Health%5FInfo/Lupus/default.asp . Updated August 2011. Accessed August 1, 2013.
Systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE). EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php . Updated June 13, 2013. Accessed August 1, 2013.
Understanding lupus. Lupus Foundation of America website. Available at: http://www.lupus.org/webmodules/webarticlesnet/templates/new%5Flearnunderstanding.aspx?articleid=2231&zoneid=523 . Accessed August 1, 2013.
12/4/2009 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php : Hartkamp A, Geenen R, Godaert GL, Bijl M, Bijlsma JW, Derksen RH. Effects of dehydroepiandrosterone on fatigue and well-being in women with quiescent systemic lupus erythematosus. A randomized controlled trial. Ann Rheum Dis . 2010;69(6):1144-1147.
5/6/2011 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php : Smyth A, Oliveira GH, Lahr BD, Bailey KR, Norby SM, Garovic VD. A systematic review and meta-analysis of pregnancy outcomes in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus and lupus nephritis. Clin J Am Soc Nephrol . 2010;5(11):2060-2068.
11/25/2013 DynaMed's Systematic Literature Surveillance. http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed: Ludvigsson JF, Rubio-Tapia A, et al. Increased risk of systemic lupus erythematosus in 29,000 patients with biopsy-verified celiac disease. J Rheumatol. 2012 Oct;39(10):1964-1970.
- Reviewer: Rosalyn Carson-DeWitt, MD; Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 08/2013 -
- Update Date: 11/25/2013 -