|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Participating in contact sports
- Poor techniques for jumping, landing, pivoting, and cutting
- Increased age
- Previous knee injuries
- A popping sound at the time of the injury
- Pain and swelling in the knee
- Tightness in the knee
- Locking up, catching, or giving way of the knee
- Tenderness in the joint
- Do not do activities that cause pain. This includes running, jumping, and weight lifting using the legs.
- Do not play sports until your doctor has said it is safe to do so.
- Over-the-counter medication, such as ibuprofen or naproxen
- Prescription pain relievers
- Maintain proper technique when exercising or playing sports.
- Wear appropriate footwear for your sport and playing surface.
- Strengthen both the quadriceps and the hamstrings.
- Consider wearing a knee brace for sports.
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons http://orthoinfo.org
American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine http://www.sportsmed.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Association http://www.coa-aco.org
Canadian Orthopaedic Foundation http://www.canorth.org
Knee sprains and meniscal tears. Merck Manual for Health Care Professionals. Available at: http://www.merckmanuals.com/professional/injuries%5Fpoisoning/fractures%5Fdislocations%5Fand%5Fsprains/knee%5Fsprains%5Fand%5Fmeniscal%5Finjuries.html. Updated August 2013. Accessed February 28, 2014.
Meniscal tears. American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons website. Available at: http://orthoinfo.aaos.org/topic.cfm?topic=A00358. Updated February 2009. Accessed February 28, 2014.
Meniscal tears in athletes. American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine. Available at: http://www.sportsmed.org/uploadedFiles/Content/Patient/Sports%5FTips/ST%20Meniscal%20Tears%2008.pdf. Published 2008. Accessed February 28, 2014.
Meniscus tears. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated February 13, 2014. Accessed February 28, 2014
Torn meniscus. John Hopkins Medicine website. Available at: http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/healthlibrary/conditions/adult/orthopaedic%5Fdisorders/torn%5Fmeniscus%5F85,P00945/. Accessed February 28, 2014.
- Reviewer: Teresa Briedwell, PT, DPT
- Review Date: 02/2014 -
- Update Date: 02/28/2014 -