|The Thymus Gland|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Muscle weakness that increases with muscle use/exercise, and improves after resting those muscles
- Drooping eyelids
- Double and/or blurred vision
- Difficulty swallowing
- Difficulty speaking
- Difficulty walking
- Weakness of the hand muscles
- Difficulty breathing
- Blood tests
- Electromyography (EMG) tests—to reveal abnormalities in muscle functioning
- Repetitive nerve stimulation ( a component of EMG)—may show progressively increasing muscle weakness over the course of the test
- Tensilon test—a dose of a medication called edrophonium chloride is given, which will briefly improve muscle weakness
- Pulmonary function testing
- Acetylcholinesterase inhibitors
- Immunosuppressive drugs
- IV immunoglobulin therapy
Physical and Occupational Therapy
Avoiding Medications That May Worsen Symptoms
- Certain antibiotics
- Certain medications used to treat psychiatric conditions
Myasthenia Gravis Foundation of America http://www.myasthenia.org
National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke http://www.ninds.nih.gov
Myasthenia Gravis Association of BC http://www.myastheniagravis.ca
Public Health Agency of Canada http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca
Gronseth GS, Barohn RJ. Practice parameter: thymectomy for autoimmune myasthenia gravis (an evidence-based review): report of the Quality Standards Subcommittee of the American Academy of Neurology. Neurology. 2000;55:7-15.
Myasthenia gravis. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated March 7, 2013. Accessed July 19, 2013.
Myasthenia gravis fact sheet. National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke website. Available at: http://www.ninds.nih.gov/disorders/myasthenia%5Fgravis/detail%5Fmyasthenia%5Fgravis.htm. Updated December 4, 2012. Accessed July 19, 2013.
What is myasthenia gravis (MG)? Myasthenia Gravis Foundation of America website. Available at: http://www.myasthenia.org/WhatisMG.aspx. Accessed July 19, 2013.
- Reviewer: Rimas Lukas, MD
- Review Date: 05/2014 -
- Update Date: 00/53/2014 -