|Diseased Heart Valve|
|Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.|
- Having strep throat
- Prior case of rheumatic fever
- Age: 5 to 15 years old
- Pain and swelling in large joints
- Muscle aches
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pain
- Nausea and vomiting
- Hacking cough
- Circular rash
- Lumps under the skin
- Abnormal, sudden movements of arms and legs
Samples may be taken of your bodily fluids and tissues. This can be done with:
- Blood tests
- Throat culture
- You may need to have pictures taken of your heart. This can be done with:
- You may need to have your heart activity measured. This can be done with an electrocardiogram .
- Kill the strep bacteria
- Treat the inflammation caused by the rheumatic fever
- Treat any cardiac problems
- Prevent future cases of rheumatic fever
- Penicillin or other antibiotics such as erythromycin and azithromycin
- May be given by mouth or injection
- Aspirin or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)—only if advised by your doctor
- Corticosteroids may be used if NSAIDs are not effective or if there is inflammation of the heart
American Heart Association http://www.heart.org
National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov
Health Canada http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Heart and Stroke Foundation of Canada http://www.heartandstroke.com
Acute rheumatic fever. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed. Updated September 27, 2012. Accessed February 14, 2013.
Nausieda PA, Grossman BJ, et al.: Sydenham chorea: an update. Neurology. 1980;30:331-334.
Rheumatic fever. Texas Heart Institute website. Available at: http://www.texasheartinstitute.org/HIC/Topics/cond/rheufev.cfm. Updated October 2012. Accessed February 14, 2013.
Robertson KA, Volmink JA, et al. Antibiotics for the primary prevention of acute rheumatic fever. BMC Cardiovasc Disorders. 2005; 5:11.
Spagnuolo M, Pasternack B, et al. Risk of rheumatic fever recurrences after streptococcal infections: prospective study of clinical and social factors. N Engl J Med. 1971;285:641-647.
- Reviewer: Michael Woods, MD
- Review Date: 09/2013 -
- Update Date: 09/30/2013 -