Recommended Dietary Allowance
|0-12 months||400 (adequate intake)|
|71 years and older||800|
|Pregnant and breastfeeding women||600|
Sources of Vitamin D
Vitamin D content
|Cod liver oil||1 tablespoon||1,360|
|Salmon, cooked||3 ounces||447|
|Mackerel, canned||3 ounces||213|
|Sardines, canned in oil||2 sardines||46|
|Milk, vitamin D fortified||1 cup||98|
|Margarine, fortified||1 tablespoon||60|
|Liver, beef, cooked||3 ounces||42|
Tips for Increasing Your Vitamin D Intake
- Eat fish, especially fatty fish such as salmon and mackerel, 2 times per week.
- Drink vitamin D-fortified milk.
- Get sun exposure, but be careful to watch for sunburn. Sunlight is a major cause of skin cancer. Fifteen summer minutes of sun exposure to face and arms will allow most persons to synthesize adequate vitamin D and minimize the risk of skin damage. If you will be out in the sun for more than a few minutes, it is important to protect against skin cancer by wearing protective clothing or putting on sunscreen with an SPF (sun protection factor) of 15 or more. In most northern climates, winter sun is too obstructed and low in the sky to allow vitamin D synthesis in the skin. In the winter, vitamin D supplements or multiple servings of milk and fatty fish may be necessary for good health.
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics http://www.eatright.org
International Food Information Council http://www.ific.org
Canada's Food Guide http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca
Dietitians of Canada http://www.dietitians.ca
Breastfeeding. EBSCO DynaMed website. Available at: http://www.ebscohost.com/dynamed/what.php. Updated March 19, 2013. Accessed April 3, 2013.
Giovannoni G, Ebers G. Multiple sclerosis: the environment and causation. Curr Opin Neurol. 2007;20:261-268.
Ginde AA, Mansbach JM, Camargo CA. Association between serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D level and upper respiratory tract infection in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey. Arch Intern Med. 2009;169:384-390.
Heath KM, Elovic EP. Vitamin D deficiency: implications in the rehabilitation setting. Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2006;85:916-923.
Michels KB, Mohllajee AP, Roset-Bahmanyar E, Beehler GP, Moysich KB. Diet and breast cancer: a review of the prospective observational studies. Cancer. 2007;109(Suppl 12):2712-2749.
Munger KL, Levin LI, Hollis BW, Howard NS, Ascherio A. Serum 25-hydroxyvitamin D levels and risk of multiple sclerosis. JAMA. 2006;296:2832-2838.
Vitamin D. Office of Dietary Supplements website.Available at: http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminD-HealthProfessional. Updated June 24, 2012. Accessed April 3, 2013..
Vitamin D. Oregon State University Linus Pauling Institute website. Available at: http://lpi.oregonstate.edu/infocenter/vitamins/vitaminD/index.html. Updated June 22, 2011. Accessed April 3, 2013.
Wagner CL, Greer FR. Prevention of rickets and vitamin D deficiency in infants, children, and adolescents. Pediatrics. 2008;1221142-1152.
- Reviewer: Brian Randall, MD
- Review Date: 04/2013 -
- Update Date: 04/03/2013 -