Other Proposed Natural Treatments
- Coenzyme Q 10 (CoQ 10 )
- Cranberry Juice
- Essential Oil Mouthwash
- E. linza (Green Algae) Extract Mouthwash
- Folate Mouthwash
- Gamma-Linolenic Acid (GLA)
- Green Tea Chew Candy
- Herbal Mouthwash Containing Chamomile , Echinacea , Hops , Myrrh, Mint , Sage , and Ratania
- Honey Leather
- Macleaya cordata (Plume Poppy) and Prunella vulgaris
- Oligomeric Proanthocyanidins (OPCs)
- Sea Cucumber
- Tea Tree Oil
- Vitamin B 12
- Vitamin C
- Witch Hazel
Periodontal disease begins with gum inflammation and progresses to pockets of infection, bone loss, and loosening of the teeth. It is present in 90% of individuals over the age of 65.
Conventional prevention and treatment include regular flossing, using mouthwash that contains extracts of the herb thyme (such as thymol, found in Listerine), and using special toothbrushing appliances. If the condition becomes advanced, special deep-cleaning techniques and even surgery may be necessary.
Proposed Natural Treatments for Periodontal Disease
Other treatments sometimes proposed for periodontal disease, but that lack meaningful scientific support, include beta-glucan , bioflavonoids , bloodroot , calcium , caraway , magnesium , vitamin C , witch hazel , and zinc .
- Reviewer: EBSCO CAM Review Board
- Review Date: 08/2013 -
- Update Date: 08/22/2013 -