When it comes to joint health, we don’t just follow standards, we exceed them. Aventura Hospital and Medical Center is the only Joint Commission certified hospital in Dade County for total hip and knee replacements.
InterventionExpand All Collapse All
The pain management service offered at The Orthopedic and Spine Institute at Aventura Hospital and Medical Center is personal program providing compassionate care for patients with spine and orthopedic diseases. The entire team is focused on providing you with a comfortable experience and will work with you to find the best combination of medications and rehabilitation to manage your pain and lessen your discomfort after surgery. At each stage of your recovery, our team will keep you informed of what is happening and what to expect.
Arthritis - Physical Therapy
Our patients who suffer from arthritis have extremely stiff joints that worsen without movement. Our team of physical therapists works with our patients on individual programs that bring together the best program to work out stiffness without further damaging your joint. Our patients find physical therapy useful following an injury, surgery or joint replacement.
Arthritis – Management
For our patients who suffer from arthritis, our Orthopedic and Spine Institute at Aventura Hospital and Medical Center focuses on improving function of joints. Since each patient is different, there is no best treatment for everyone and our experts create specific and individual plans for each patient.
SurgeryExpand All Collapse All
Total Joint Replacement
Total joint replacement is one of the great orthopedic surgical advances of our time. Surgeries of this type often involve conditions such as Rheumatoid Arthritis, Degenerative Arthritis, or Traumatic Joint Damage. On average, patients undergoing joint replacement surgery are hospitalized for three to four days while our highly qualified team of nurses and physical therapists work with the surgeon and the total joint surgical team to keep our patients comfortable and continually improving during their recovery.
Conformis Partial Knee Replacement
Just as no two patients are alike, no two joint replacements are exactly the same. That’s why our care is precisely focused on the unique medical and lifestyle needs of each patient. Using breakthrough technology, the Orthopedic and Spine Institute at Aventura Hospital and Medical Center can give patients their knee. Prior to surgery, a 3-D model of the knee is created using CT and MRI scans. From this model an anatomically-correct, custom knee is created.
Some advantages to Partial Knee Replacement include:
- A smaller incision, resulting in less tissue damage, reduced bleeding and less scarring.
- The muscles, tendons and ligaments surrounding the knee are not detached and are not cut. As a result, there is no pain associated the surgery.
There are some criteria that should be met before you can be considered for Partial Knee Replacement. If you think you may be a candidate, please join the Orthopedic and Spine Institute at Aventura Hospital and Medical Center for a pre-operative class.
The Anterior Hip Replacement Approach
- The Anterior Hip Replacement Approach allows the surgeon to operate through a smaller surgical incision, which means less blood loss, scarring and tissue damage
- Muscles surrounding the hip joint are separated at intervals which naturally occur within the tissue. Muscles are NOT cut, nor are they detached from the femur or pelvis during the surgery. As a result, patients do not have to heal from surgical trauma to the muscles
Trauma may cause a fracture of the humerus or the glenoid joint of the shoulder. Most of these injuries can be treated without surgery, but if some fractures are unlikely to heal, surgery will be the best option. About 80 percent of all fractures are non-displaced, which requires a treatment of immobilization. The other 20 percent of shoulder fractured are displaced and a surgical procedure might be necessary. During surgery the pieces are fixed with wires, plates or screws.
Ankle and Foot
Ankle and foot fractures can turn into severe injuries that often lead to problems of persistent pain in the foot. Out foot and ankle are necessary for walking so it is important to have the appropriate treatment. If an ankle fracture is out of place or the ankle unstable, it may be treated with surgery. During the surgery a plate and screws on the side of the bone may be used to align the bone fragments and keep them together.
Hand surgery is a procedure performed to treat traumatic injuries of the hand, such as closed-fist injuries, congenital deformities or loss of function caused by advanced arthritis of the hand. The surgery goals are to reconstruct the skin, bone, nerve, tendon, and joints in the hand.